Describe the concept of best practices in the public domain
The book defines best practice as: “proven activities or processes that have been successfully used by multiple organizations ”
You may be surprised to lean that best practices do not grow on trees, nor are they delivered by storks. They are created by sources, and aggregated by enablers. Sources include things like:
- Proprietary knowledge
- Specific to one organization and difficult to share
- Standards and Industry Best Practice
- This is stuff like six sigma, ISO 20000, etc.
- Training and Academic research
- You can go to Six Sigma class for a standardized education experience
TL;TR – Standards are best because they work in multiple organizations and can be communicated effectively by standardized training plans.